March 30, 1994

"Hear our prayers O Lord for animals...and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion and gentle hands and kindly words.
                                          Albert Schweitzer  -Theologian/Philosopher

This morning I met Maggie at 7:45am, outside the Jack Conway office.  She had some mail for me and I surrendered my key to the house.  I also signed our refund check from the IRS, the money is all her's. She then asked me when I was going to get my stuff out of the house and did I get a job in Florida?  I told her I didn't look for a job in Florida and per our arrangement, everything will be out of the house by May 15th. She wasn't happy with my reply and wanted more definitive answers, but I just repeated what I said. When I was in Florida I decided that on my return, I would answer Maggie's questions with the fewest words possible.

Now that she has me out of the house and has her divorce, she's focused on getting my belongings out of the house and my body out of Chatham. When I softly and slyly told her I found a place to live here starting around May 5th, she was visibly upset but said nothing. She wants me out of this town so bad I can hear her prayers and smell the smoke from all the candles she has lighted.

Before she left I gave her a bag of cat and dog food Yoyo and Andy - and kindly asked her to please make sure they get the treats.  Our total time together, about five minutes.

This is what I would really like to do - go to the A&P and steal a shopping cart and become a homeless street person.  Grow a beard and push the cart up and down Main Street all day scrounging for returnable cans and bottles - be an added attraction for all the summer tourist.  I would live by Holy Redeemer, maybe in its new gazebo, so I would have a roof over my head.  And like the homeless man in Saint Augustine, I would go to Mass everyday and greet people with a smile and a warm hello.

I miss Andy and Yoyo and I care for them.  Although I can't be with them, I can buy them food and that makes me feel good. And I believe that when they eat it, they will have an instinctive sense that will tell them the food came from me. It will be our bond while we're apart.

Although I no longer see Maggie's heart of compassion nor feel her gentle hands nor hear her kindly words, I pray that Andy and Yoyo always do - and that she always treats them with tenderness.

3:30pm   -   Bradford Inn   -   Chatham, MA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN YOU KILL YOURSELF

SUICIDE: THE STORM BEFORE THE CALM

MOURNING FOR MY LIFE