April 2, 1994
Holy Saturday

"Let us forget and forgive injuries."
                                    Cervantes  -  Don Quixote

Holy Week is a reminder of the importance of forgiveness.  Just as I ask and expect God's forgiveness for the harm my sins have caused Him, so too, must I forgive those whose sins have injured me.  But it is much easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to bestow it.  For months my mind and soul have been in a battle between revenge and forgiveness - to attack or to grant amnesty.

Will the time ever come when my mind and soul are in agreement?  And can I forget and forgive those who mistakenly believed that they were doing right?  And should evil receive justice or mercy?

Everyone is a misconception to someone else. People perceive but do not see - they see us, for the most part, as we appear to not as we are.  Maybe God is a misconception to us, but we are not to Him.  He doesn't look at our appearances, but into our hearts and souls, and He cannot be deceived.

More than anything, God wants us to forgive, for forgiveness is His gift to us and when we offer this gift to others, we free ourselves from the encumbrances of bitterness  and hatred.

And I will try to live by the words I've written.  But to paraphrase Kin Hubbard, I have not forgotten where I've buried my hatchets, nor have I forgotten where I would like to bury the hatchets I still hold.

2:30pm   -   Eldredge  Library   -   Chatham, MA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN YOU KILL YOURSELF

SUICIDE: THE STORM BEFORE THE CALM

MOURNING FOR MY LIFE