April 6, 1994

"We're going away to Ireland soon, we're going away to Ireland...we'll try not to get in the way of guns as we always do."
                                              The Roches   -   The Troubles

In a few hours I'm off to Ireland with my two little critters, Tiny Teddy and his flying friend, Berry Beagle.  I've had these small stuffed animals for about fourteen years and they always travel with me.  They've been to Ireland many, many times. Although this is our last trip together, I've left instructions for them to be buried with me when I die. During the three years I wrote Travels With Tiny Teddy for the Cape Cod Times, I was in heaven - writing about them was so much fun and they brought great enjoyment to many children.  During that time I had a schoolboy crush on my editor, Amy - a cute Tar Heel with a sharp mind and a quick wit. Oh, the good old days.

All my affairs are in order.  My goodbye letters are written, my will is signed and sealed and all my funeral forms are completed. Once I am dead the only thing my family will have to do is say a prayer for me.

When I am in Ireland I will not get in the way of guns. About ten years ago I was stopped by British soldiers in Derry, Northern Ireland.  I was ordered out of my car and suddenly surrounded by young, baby faced soldiers with automatic rifles. A Sergeant asked for my passport and then gave it to a woman officer.  I was then ordered to open the hood and trunk and to step away from the car. While two soldiers pointed their rifles at me, the Sergeant examined the entire car slowly and thoroughly.

After the inspection the woman officer returned my passport and Boston Irish Echo press credentials that were inside my passport folder. She told me it was in my best interest to leave Northern Ireland,
which I was in the process of doing when I was stopped.  I have been back to northern Ireland many times since, but I'll not be going there this trip - no guns will be pointing my way.

One time I took a cab from South Station to Logan airport and when the driver asked me what airline, I said, "Aer Lingus!"  He replied, "Oh, the Green Parrot!"  I've been using that nickname ever since. The Green Parrot is now on the tarmac next to the boarding gate awaiting our arrival. We are going away to Ireland, our magical, mythical and mystical homeland.

5:30pm   -   Logan Airport   -   Boston, MA

contact: fortheheartcries@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN YOU KILL YOURSELF

SUICIDE: THE STORM BEFORE THE CALM

MOURNING FOR MY LIFE