April 7, 1994

"I've been a wild rover for many a year and I've spent all my money on whiskey and beer."
                                                             The Wild Rove   _ An Irish Folk Song

Jesus, what a shock I just had! A short while ago the people sitting next to me on the plane woke me up, and told me we had landed and it was time to leave. When I got off the plane and stepped into the terminal I didn't know where I was - nothing was familiar. I asked one of the passengers where we were, she looked at me as if I was crazy - how did she guess? - and said we were in Dublin.  Dublin! I was supposed to get off in Shannon!  She then asked, "Didn't you hear the announcement?" I told her I was sleeping - passed out was more like it.  She explained that the plane couldn't land at Shannon Airport because it was too windy, and that we have to wait here until the winds die down.  She then added that it should only be for an hour or two.

So, here I am at Dublin Airport and nothing is open not even a coffee shop. And I'm still half drunk from way too much to drink. I had fore Bloody Mary's at Logan Airport, a couple of Irish whiskey's on the plane, two small bottles of wine with dinner and the a couple more Irish whiskey's.  Soon thereafter I passed out.

Now, I am in Dublin trying to write and think as a hangover gathers steam behind my eyeballs. This is going to be a long, drooping and disgusting day. I need Tylenol and a Coke. And I can't believe I'm stuck in Dublin.  I hate Dublin.  I've visited the city four times, the last in either '85 or '86 when I did work for RTE. After that I vowed never to return,  Dublin is a dump - dirty, dark and dangerous, full of tinkers, thieves and tourist. Its air slimy, filled with soot and smoke and on every corner are bums, beggars and banshees with babies.

This wild rover has a hangover! Time to find a Coke machine!

6:30am   -   Dublin Airport   -   Dublin, Ireland

contact: fortheheartcries@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN YOU KILL YOURSELF

SUICIDE: THE STORM BEFORE THE CALM

MOURNING FOR MY LIFE