March 26, 1994

"How does it feel! How does it feel! To be on your own with no direction home like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone.
                                                           Bob Dylan  -  Like A Rolling Stone

Simple, small everyday things that surround us daily can suddenly bring me to tears. This morning I stopped at McDonald's in Fredericksburg, Virginia. When I came out there was a car parked next to mine, with a dog poking its head out the window. The dog was looking towards McDonald, it's tongue out and it was smiling and laughing - waiting for its master and probably hoping for an Egg McMuffin with hash browns.

I began to think of Andy and Yoyo and how much I miss them. I wonder if they are in the den looking out the window, waiting for me to walk down the courtyard and open the front door? Do they miss me and wait or have they grown accustomed to my absence?  Towards them, my heart has grown fonder. Just as was leaving for Florida in November, Maggie said, "I think you love them more than you love me." I replied, "I love you most of all." But she was right, somehow she looked into my heart that morning and saw that she was in third place.

My mood and feelings about Maggie change with each tide and with each phase of the moon.  But regardless of my changing feelings, I know this to be true - my memories of Maggie no longer have meaning, no longer have life.   What was made has begun to fade.

As I drove South a few weeks ago, nature became warmer and brighter, more alive and colorful, with each passing mile.  Now, as I drive North, nature becomes colder and darker, more barren and drearier with every mile. And as the miles pass, my life and mood begin to reflect the bleak landscape as I return to the tomb of my unhappiness.

For two weeks I escaped from the harshness of winter, but couldn't find refuge from my thoughts.  Every day as I strolled through the historic district in Saint Augustine, I would see couples, of all ages, holding hands and laughing, kissing softly and silently - and I would dream of happier times with Maggie. And as my thoughts wandered I would weave the dream into a nightmare of bitterness, despair and disappointment.  This is what I have learned, misery doesn't want company, happiness does.

Although I am on m,y own and at times a complete unknown, I am not a rolling stone.  I'm simply a man alone who will soon be buried beneath a gravestone.

5:15pm   -   Ramada Inn   -   Newburgh, New York

contact: fortheheartcries@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN YOU KILL YOURSELF

MOURNING FOR MY LIFE

SUICIDE: THE STORM BEFORE THE CALM