FORGING FORWARD



I can write with confidence that there are only a few people in the world who know more about suicide than I do.  Suicide is a shadow that has been following me since I was eleven years old - maybe not always visible but always there.

When I was eleven my grandfather, who I saw every day, committed suicide.  Almost twelve years later my college girlfriend killed herself. Over the decades since I have lost relatives and friends, neighbors and acquaintances to suicide. Thus I know the tragic effects suicide has on family and friends. Suicide tears people apart and leaves wounds that never heal, breaks hearts that never mend and fills the mind with questions that are never answered. I have been there.

I have attempted suicide three times - and there is no medical reason why I survived my third attempt.
As a result I am fully aware of the black hole depression and despair can create in a person, a black hole from which a person feels there is no escape - and realizing the only option for escape is suicide. I have been there.

Over the years I have written a number of personal article on suicide that have been published in the Cape Cod Times. I will be posting these articles once a week. I hope these articles are beneficial whether you lost a loved one to suicide or  have contemplated suicide.

contact: fortheheartcries@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN YOU KILL YOURSELF

SUICIDE: THE STORM BEFORE THE CALM

MOURNING FOR MY LIFE